The Olgas were discovered in 1872 by Ernest Giles too and they were named after the Spanish Queen Olga. They also known by their aboriginal name Kata Tjuta which means \'many heads\'because they look like heads. The Olgas are a group of monoliths and they are 400 million years old. They\'re set within the Kata Tjuta National Park and they only 48 km west from Ayers Rock.
The Olgas are made up of 36 rounded hills resembling domes with the tallest Mt. Olga being 197.4 m higher than Ayers Rock. The Olgas are made of basic rock and granite.
The 36 main domes cover an area of 21.68 km².
A number of smaller domes and ridges are outside the main grouping, making about 61 domes in total.
There are two walks around the Olgas. The \'Valley of the Winds\' is along a 7 km track that circles several of the Olgas. If the temperature is due to be 36 degrees or more then this walk is closed from 11am. It is also best to walk early in the morning as it makes a more comfortable walk. The other walk that is available is the \'Olga Gorge\' , which is a 2 km walk into the beautiful gorge. Climbing the domes is strictly forbidden.
The sunset at the Olgas is spectacular too, with blues and purples to oranges and reds that light up the sky.